LORAIN – A Kentucky man suspected of killing Lorain resident Lani Smith waved his right to an extradition hearing in Maryland and will be brought back to Ohio sometime in the next week.
Lorain police provided this photo of Larry Brown, who was wanted in connection with a West 9th Street homicide. Brown, of Kentucky, waived extradition and will be in Ohio soon.
Larry Brown, 38, of the Louisville, Ky., area was found in a hospital in Baltimore days after police said he shot Lani Smith in his home at 1104 W. Ninth St., Lorain, July 14.
Police Lt Ed Super said Lorain officers will drive down to Baltimore and bring him to Ohio.
Police believe Brown shot Smith, 66, in his home before fleeing. Smith’s sister, Kim, said Brown was like family to Lani as Brown’s sister is Kim Smith’s niece.
Meanwhile, Super said 16-year-old Darius Ramey, a suspected killer in a separate homicide on Monday, July 11, is still at large.
The Chronicle-Telegram generally does not name juvenile suspects but waived that in this case because police say the teen – whose name and picture they released – is armed and dangerous.
HANDOUT PHOTO FROM LORAIN POLICE DEPARTMENT Enlarge
Police believe Ramey shot and killed Kenneth W. Shinafelt, 31, of Elyria in the 2300 block of Reeves Avenue.
Lorain police met with Ramey’s mother and learned he has been living on the streets since May.
Super said the police have heard “nothing” about Ramey’s whereabouts since the murder.
“One of the problems is he doesn’t look like a teenager,” Super said, noting that people may have seen him but not know that he’s wanted.
Anyone that knows of Ramey’s whereabouts is asked to call the Lorain Police Department at (440) 204-2100.
- Prosecutors seek to try murder suspect as an adult
- Darius Ramey sentenced to 21 years for 2016 homicide (UPDATED)
- 'He had a big heart': Family, friends remember homicide victim a year later
- Teen accused in Lorain murder case headed back to adult court
- 8. Violent summer in Lorain
- Local teen's case could go back to juvenile court thanks to ruling
- Murder suspect back in juvenile system
- Lorain man indicted for murder
- Son arrested in Lorain woman's killing
- Accused killer back in Ohio
- Lorain teen pleads not guilty in shooting death
- Suspects indicted in two Lorain homicides
- Lorain police seeking teen in fatal shooting
- Lorain police investigate man's shooting death
- Elyria man dead after overnight shooting in Lorain
- Suspect in Lorain homicide found in Baltimore hospital
- Kentucky man sought in Lorain fatal shooting
- UPDATED: Lorain police seek Kentucky man in connection with West 9th Street homicide