LORAIN — A 25-year-old man has been arrested and charged in the stabbing death of his mother.
According to jail officials, Zachary Manilla, 25, is being held at the Lorain City Jail without bond on a murder charge, pending his arraignment this morning, after his mother was found stabbed at 418 Concord St. on Sunday afternoon.
Lorain Police said Kimberley Manilla, 51, was found at 12:04 p.m. in the backyard of the residence, bleeding from multiple stab wounds.
A woman was stabbed inside 418 Concord Avenue in Lorain Sunday afternoon.
ANNA NORRIS/CHRONICLE Enlarge
Kimberley Manilla was taken to Mercy Regional Medical Center in Lorain, where she was pronounced dead.
This marks the fifth homicide in the city in the last six weeks and the sixth total for 2016, after the city saw no homicides in 2015.
The first of the year came Jan. 16 with the shooting death of 59-year-old Corrina Charlton.
In recent weeks, Lorain has seen the homicides of Kenneth Shinafelt, 31, on July 12; Lani Smith, 66, on July 14; John Whitefield, 53, on Aug. 2; and Robert Gnizak, 49, on Aug. 14.
Gnizak’s death is the only homicide this year where an arrest hasn’t been made. Police are offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to identification and apprehension of the person who shot Gnizak at the Taco Bell drive-thru on Oberlin Avenue.
The shooter, who fled the scene on foot, has been described as a black male, thin to medium build, about 6 feet tall, wearing a yellow shirt and tan or khaki pants with a baseball hat.
Those with information are asked to call (440) 204-2105 or (440) 204-2100.
- Murder suspect waives hearing
- Two shot in Lorain, flown to hospital
- Suspects indicted in two Lorain homicides
- Man accused in mother's fatal stabbing attempts suicide
- Inmate who attempted suicide remains in hospital
- Man accused of killing mother dies after hanging self in jail
- 8. Violent summer in Lorain
- Murder suspect testifies at trial
- Police: Suspected killer has PTSD
- UPDATED: Man killed in Lorain Taco Bell drive-thru identified
- Lorain police investigate housebound man's death
- Lorain police investigating possible homicide on West 23rd Street
- Suspect in Lorain homicide found in Baltimore hospital
- Accused killer waives extradition
- UPDATED: Lorain police seek Kentucky man in connection with West 9th Street homicide
- Lorain police seeking teen in fatal shooting
- Elyria man dead after overnight shooting in Lorain
- Lorain police investigate man's shooting death
- Woman arrested in connection with Lorain death
- Murder suspect arrested
- Kentucky man sought in Lorain fatal shooting
- Reward offered in Lorain drive-thru shooting