ELYRIA — A banner held in place between two pillars on the gazebo in Ely Square served as a memory of Kenneth Shinafelt.
Family and friends of Shinafelt gathered in Elyria on Wednesday to mark the one-year anniversary of the shooting death of the 31-year-old.
It was time, Kim Horvath said, that others knew how much her son was loved.
Horvath recalled a time when her son, whom she called Kenny, would rush out the door each morning to fetch the morning paper.
“He would always bring me a flower … a dandelion and the paper,” she said, holding back tears. “One time, he brought me a rock and said, ‘There were no more flowers!’”
Those are the memories that keep Horvath moving forward.
Her son will never get to play with his nieces or visit with his large extended family ever again.
“He was my son,” Horvath said. “I will remember everything. He had a big heart.”
And little signs of Shinafelt keep popping up in her life — even after his death.
“See these pictures here,” Horvath said, pointing to the frames on the table under the gazebo. “I was pumping gas, and he took my phone and took those photos of himself. I just found them on my phone last week.”
Shinafelt was shot and killed in Lorain. Darius Ramey, who was at the time 16, has been charged with murder and felonious assault in the case.
After months of legal wrangling, Ramey’s case was sent back to the adult criminal justice system last week.
Contact Melissa Linebrink at 329-7243 or email@example.com. Follow her on Twitter @MLinebrinkCT.
- Darius Ramey sentenced to 21 years for 2016 homicide (UPDATED)
- Teen accused in Lorain murder case headed back to adult court
- Murder suspect back in juvenile system
- Suspects indicted in two Lorain homicides
- Suspect's friend testifies he heard but didn't see shooting
- Prosecutors seek to try murder suspect as an adult
- Homicide Suspect, Darius Ramey surrenders to police
- Accused killer waives extradition
- Lorain police seeking teen in fatal shooting
- Lorain police investigate man's shooting death
- Elyria man dead after overnight shooting in Lorain