ELYRIA — A Wellington man has who allegedly “sucker punched” his cousin’s boyfriend, who died two days after the beating, has been indicted on murder and felonious assault charges.
Elyria police reported that Nick Masley, 23, was upset with 25-year-old Jeffrey Brooks because he believed Brooks was responsible for getting his cousin, Kayla Ellis, hooked on heroin. Ellis and Brooks were dating, according to police.
Brooks told police before his death that he was leaving a Delaware Court home about 5 p.m. Dec. 12, when he was attacked by Masley, who punched him several times in the face. Officers reported Brooks told them he was knocked out by the blows.
Brooks had a swollen eye and bloody nose and was complaining of pain in his head when police were called and told officers he had last used heroin about two hours before the attack. He also told officers it had been a mutual decision by him and Ellis to use heroin, according to the police report.
Brooks was taken to EMH Elyria Medical Center, but was transferred to MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland the next day, a family member has said. He died Dec. 14.
A spokesman for the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office said Thursday that a report on the cause and manner of Brooks’ death has not yet been completed.
Masley was arrested on a felonious assault charge but hadn’t faced the murder charge until his indictment this week.
- Elyria man's murder trial begins
- Prosecutors: Nick Masley lured Jeffrey Brooks to trailer park with intent of beating
- Cousin testifies at Nick Masley's murder trial
- Jury watches murder suspect's videotaped statement
- Renowned expert witness says heroin, not punches, killed man
- Nick Masley found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, assault in death of Jeffrey Brooks (UPDATED)
- VIDEO: No further jail time for Nick Masley in death of Jeffrey Brooks (UPDATED)
- Two arrested in drug trafficking investigation