This story has been edited to reflect the correction on the name of the store: Save-A-Lot.
ELYRIA — A man and woman were arrested Friday in connection with an ongoing drug trafficking investigation.
Sean Byrne, 37, of Columbia Station; and Kayla Ellis, 24, of Elyria, were charged after police saw them conduct a drug deal in the Save-A-Lot parking lot in Elyria. Once the transaction was complete, the pair were arrested. When searching their vehicle, police found a total of 5.2 grams of heroin, separated into varying amounts; several types of pills, two crack pipes, 2 metal spoons with cotton and residue, several hypodermic needles, one used hypodermic needle, a cell phone and $210 in cash.
Detectives reportedly interviewed Ellis, who confessed to her involvement in the drug deal and the transaction the night before.
Byrne was charged with corrupting another with drugs; trafficking heroin near a school – a second degree felony; trafficking heroin near a school – a third degree felony; trafficking fentanyl; possession of heroin; possession of drug abuse instruments; and drug paraphernalia.
Ellis was charged with corrupting another with drugs; trafficking heroin; trafficking fentanyl; and possession of drug abuse instruments.
Ellis is the cousin of Nick Masley, who faced murder charges in connection to the death of Jeffrey Brooks, Ellis’ fiancé. In March, a jury found Masley guilty of a lesser charges of involuntary manslaughter and two counts of misdemeanor assault after testimony said heroin had been the root cause of Brooks’ death.
Masley had admitted to assaulting Brooks, saying he did so because he felt Brooks had gotten Ellis, whom he’d been close to previously, addicted to heroin.
- VIDEO: No further jail time for Nick Masley in death of Jeffrey Brooks (UPDATED)
- Nick Masley found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, assault in death of Jeffrey Brooks (UPDATED)
- Renowned expert witness says heroin, not punches, killed man
- Jury watches murder suspect's videotaped statement
- Cousin testifies at Nick Masley's murder trial
- Prosecutors: Nick Masley lured Jeffrey Brooks to trailer park with intent of beating
- Elyria man's murder trial begins
- Man indicted in ‘sucker punch’ death
- Balloon vigil remembers victim of assault
- Jeffrey David Brooks
- Man dies from injuries sustained in alleged assault