Tuesday, December 11, 2018 Elyria 21°
Advertisement

Cops and Courts

Police: Lorain teen not ill from tainted candy (UPDATED)

Advertisement

UPDATE: Lorain Police Lt. Michael Failing said police don’t think a boy who was hospitalized last night became ill from eating tainted candy. 

Failing said in a news release that  the complaint related to a sick Lorain teenager was the only complaint  investigators received. Police will continue to investigate the incident.

***CORRECTION*** The original sucker the boy licked was never found.

***Previous reporting***

LORAIN – Police are investigating a possible opioid overdose from a tainted sucker a teenager said he received while trick-or-treating.

Officers were called to the 1600 block of Fillmore Avenue at about 7:58 p.m. Wednesday, where a woman said her 15-year-old brother felt sick 10 minutes after licking a sucker he got from trick-or-treating, according to a police report. The woman said she called 911 when her brother said it tasted funny and his body felt numb.

Celena Burkhammer Shaffer, the boy’s mother, said he was sent to Mercy Health Medical Center in Lorain, where they gave him naloxone, often used in opioid overdoses. Shaffer said the boy felt better almost immediately after receiving the naloxone, and he is recovering. Shaffer said he felt sore and tired, but otherwise fine.

The boy said he got a plastic bag of green and purple lollipops from a bald man in his mid-30s, who he described as being around 6 feet, 2 inches tall, with a medium build, wearing black clothes. The boy told police he couldn’t remember exactly where he got the candy aside from the general area of Fillmore Avenue and Hancock Street or Paine Street.

The unfinished sucker was never found. Lorain Police Lt. Michael Failing said the incident is still under investigation.

This is a developing story, check back for updates.

Click to view comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
To Top

Fetching stories…