Tuesday, February 25, 2020 Elyria 36°

Cops and Courts

Bond set at $1 million for man accused of assault in officer-involved shooting

  • Carlton-court-jpg

    Richard J. Carlton, 27, was given a $1 million bond for his involvement in an incident on Oct. 30 where he allegedly threatened Elyria Police officers with a handgun.



ELYRIA — Bond was set at $1 million for the man charged with two counts of felonious assault, both second-degree felonies.

On Tuesday, Elyria Municipal Court Judge Robert White set the high bail for Richard J. Carlton, 27, who allegedly walked out of his apartment at 120 Riverside Court, armed with a gun following an Oct. 30 disturbance call. He was shot at least once by Elyria police officers.

As Carlton entered the courtroom, he acknowledged his parents – the only two people sitting in the courtroom.

“Can I talk to my parents,” Carlton asked the bailiff before being instructed to sit down.

He was told to not speak to his parents, and vice versa.

With no attorney present, Carlton said he understood the bond set by White.

“Based on upon the allegations, and the fact that you pose a risk to police, the public and yourself, I am setting a $1 million bond,” White said.

As he was escorted out of court, his parents told him they love him. A preliminary hearing will be set where he will be appointed an attorney.

According to the sheriff’s office, the officers went to Carlton’s apartment just before 8:30 p.m. Oct. 30 for a report of a disturbance there.

Carlton had been acting “in a threatening manner” toward other residents of the complex, making a ruckus in his apartment and allegedly screaming and shouting that he planned to kill and shoot other people, residents told police in a number of 911 calls made that day.

After officers had no luck knocking on Carlton’s door, they left to get a key from apartment management. That’s when Carlton exited his apartment, allegedly armed with a handgun, and threatened the officers with it, deputies said.

Carlton was shot at least once, and after resisting arrest had to be subdued with a stun gun to be brought under control, according to the sheriff’s office.

It was the first officer-involved shooting for Elyria police since 2012.

Contact Melissa Linebrink at (440) 329-7243 or mlinebrink@chroniclet.com. Follow her on Twitter @MLinebrinkCT.

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…