ELYRIA — Attorneys representing Oberlin College sought Tuesday to exclude several text messages, emails and online postings from the upcoming trial in the lawsuit filed by Gibson’s Bakery against the school.
Lorain County Common Pleas Judge John Miraldi spent the day hearing pre-trial motions in the case, and on that one, he ruled he will consider each one individually as the case progresses. The potential evidence in question included texts, emails and posts by college administrators, faculty and students.
More pretrial motions will be handled today, and jury selection is expected to begin Thursday for the civil case, which is predicted to take as long as a month and could see more than 100 witnesses called.
Gibson’s sued Oberlin College in 2017 after a November 2016 shoplifting case involving an Oberlin College student turned into protests outside of the store and lead to Oberlin College severing longstanding business ties with the business.
Gibson’s sued the college and Meredith Raimondo, vice president and dean of students, for libel, slander, interference with business relationships, interference with contracts, deceptive trade practices, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent hiring and trespass.
In a ruling last week, Miraldi tossed the slander counts and deceptive trade practices against the college and Raimondo. The count alleging negligent hiring, retention and supervision against Raimondo only was tossed as well.
The rift between the bakery and the college began in 2016 when a student tried to buy alcohol with a fake ID and shoplift from Allyn Gibson, who is the son of the bakery’s owner, David Gibson. Allyn Gibson followed the student out of the store and the two got into a physical altercation.
Two other students got involved, and police have said when they arrived the three students were hitting Allyn Gibson while he was on the ground.
The incident became racially charged because Allyn Gibson is white and the students are black. All three students pleaded guilty in August to misdemeanor charges and read statements into the record acknowledging that Allyn Gibson was within his right to detain the shoplifter and that his actions were not racially motivated.
The bakery contends it suffered a loss of business as a result of the protests by Oberlin College students and community members that ensued after the incident.
- Jury selection for Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College suit expected to start Friday
- Oberlin alumni letter predicts 'lengthy and complex legal process'
- Gibson family says jury award of $33 million in punitive damages is 'clear vindication' (VIDEO)
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Jury awards more than $33 million punitive damages
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Plaintiffs rest in second day of punitive phase (UPDATED)
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Jury should get case today
- Closing arguments next week in Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College
- Oberlin College witness testifies that Gibson's Bakery's losses are 'grossly inflated'
- Former Oberlin College president said he tried to solve Gibson's Bakery issue
- Oberlin dean suggests other witnesses provided mistaken accounts of Gibson's protests
- Gibson's Bakery rests case v. Oberlin College
- David Gibson: College VP said college wants to put incident behind us
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College closing arguments set for Wednesday (UPDATED)
- Gibson's Bakery gains victories on evidence
- Gibsons' family friend testifies in bakery's trial against Oberlin College
- Gibson family says protest at bakery changed their lives
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Meredith Raimondo testifies she didn't have control over students
- Day 3 of Gibson's v. Oberlin College trial sees former college employee testify for bakery
- CPA says protests could lead to loss of $5.8 million for Gibson's Bakery
- Oberlin police chief: Riot team was almost called for Gibson's Bakery protest
- Attorneys say Oberlin College students made 'declaration of war' against Gibson's
- Opening statements could come this afternoon in Gibson's lawsuit against Oberlin College
- Jury selection set to start today in Gibson's suit
- Court filings delay start of Gibson's trial
- Gibson's v. Oberlin College to go to trial
- Documents reveal attempts to 'smear the brand' of Gibson's
- Trial date set for Gibson's v. Oberlin College
- Oberlin College to begin 'good neighbor' service plan for students
- Gibson's Bakery lawsuit stays in Lorain County
- Gibson's Bakery moves to block venue change
- Oberlin College wants lawsuit moved to Cuyahoga County
- Judge denies partial motion to dismiss Gibson's lawsuit against Oberlin College
- Gibson's Bakery responds to Oberlin College's court request
- Oberlin College files motion to dismiss Gibson's lawsuit
- Gibson's Bakery struggling after loss of Oberlin College business, owner says
- Supporters rally around Gibson's (VIDEO)
- Gibson's sues Oberlin College