ELYRIA — Jury selection for the civil lawsuit filed by Gibson’s Bakery against Oberlin College is expected to get underway Friday.
At the earliest, testimony will start next week.
Judge John Miraldi has been hearing pretrial motions in the case for two days, but expectations that they would be wrapped up by today to allow jury selection to start were not met.
The trial is predicted to take as long as a month and could see more than 100 witnesses called.
Gibson’s sued Oberlin College in 2017 after a November 2016 shoplifting case involving an Oberlin College student led to protests outside the store and Oberlin College severing longstanding business ties with the business.
Gibson’s sued the college and Meredith Raimondo, vice president and dean of students, for libel, slander, interference with business relationships, interference with contracts, deceptive trade practices, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent hiring and trespass.
In a ruling last week, Miraldi tossed the slander counts and deceptive trade practices against the college and Raimondo. The count alleging negligent hiring, retention and supervision against Raimondo only was tossed as well.
The bakery contends it suffered a loss of business as a result of the protests by Oberlin College students and community members that ensued after the incident.
- Court filings delay start of Gibson's trial
- Oberlin alumni letter predicts 'lengthy and complex legal process'
- Gibson family says jury award of $33 million in punitive damages is 'clear vindication' (VIDEO)
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Jury awards more than $33 million punitive damages
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Plaintiffs rest in second day of punitive phase (UPDATED)
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Jury should get case today
- Closing arguments next week in Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College
- Oberlin College witness testifies that Gibson's Bakery's losses are 'grossly inflated'
- Former Oberlin College president said he tried to solve Gibson's Bakery issue
- Oberlin dean suggests other witnesses provided mistaken accounts of Gibson's protests
- Gibson's Bakery rests case v. Oberlin College
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College closing arguments set for Wednesday (UPDATED)
- CPA says protests could lead to loss of $5.8 million for Gibson's Bakery
- Gibson's Bakery gains victories on evidence
- Gibsons' family friend testifies in bakery's trial against Oberlin College
- Gibson family says protest at bakery changed their lives
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Meredith Raimondo testifies she didn't have control over students
- David Gibson: College VP said college wants to put incident behind us
- Day 3 of Gibson's v. Oberlin College trial sees former college employee testify for bakery
- Oberlin police chief: Riot team was almost called for Gibson's Bakery protest
- Attorneys say Oberlin College students made 'declaration of war' against Gibson's
- Opening statements could come this afternoon in Gibson's lawsuit against Oberlin College
- Jury selection set to start today in Gibson's suit
- Oberlin College seeks to exclude items in Gibson's lawsuit
- Documents reveal attempts to 'smear the brand' of Gibson's
- Gibson's v. Oberlin College to go to trial
- Trial date set for Gibson's v. Oberlin College
- Gibson's Bakery lawsuit stays in Lorain County
- Gibson's Bakery moves to block venue change
- Oberlin College wants lawsuit moved to Cuyahoga County
- Judge denies partial motion to dismiss Gibson's lawsuit against Oberlin College
- Gibson's Bakery responds to Oberlin College's court request
- Body camera footage shows aftermath of arrest at Oberlin business
- Oberlin College files motion to dismiss Gibson's lawsuit
- Gibson's Bakery struggling after loss of Oberlin College business, owner says
- Gibson's sues Oberlin College