ELYRIA — Opening statements in the civil trial between Gibson’s Bakery and Oberlin College could begin as soon as this afternoon.
Jury selection began Wednesday morning, but a jury was not impaneled by the end of the day. The process will resume this morning and will conclude in time for opening statements to begin in the afternoon, according to court staff.
The trial is expected to last a month, with more than 100 witnesses being called to testify.
Gibson’s sued Oberlin College in 2017 after a November 2016 shoplifting case involving an Oberlin College student led to protests outside of the store and Oberlin College severing longstanding business ties with the business.
Gibson’s sued the college and Meredith Raimondo, vice president and dean of students, for libel, slander, interference with business relationships, interference with contracts, deceptive trade practices, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent hiring and trespass.
In a ruling in late April, Miraldi tossed the slander counts and deceptive trade practices against the college and Raimondo.
The count alleging negligent hiring, retention and supervision against Raimondo only was tossed as well.
- Attorneys say Oberlin College students made 'declaration of war' against Gibson's
- Gibson family says jury award of $33 million in punitive damages is 'clear vindication' (VIDEO)
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Jury awards more than $33 million punitive damages
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Jury should get case today
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College closing arguments set for Wednesday (UPDATED)
- Closing arguments next week in Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College
- Oberlin College witness testifies that Gibson's Bakery's losses are 'grossly inflated'
- Former Oberlin College president said he tried to solve Gibson's Bakery issue
- Oberlin dean suggests other witnesses provided mistaken accounts of Gibson's protests
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Plaintiffs rest in second day of punitive phase (UPDATED)
- David Gibson: College VP said college wants to put incident behind us
- CPA says protests could lead to loss of $5.8 million for Gibson's Bakery
- Gibson's Bakery gains victories on evidence
- Gibsons' family friend testifies in bakery's trial against Oberlin College
- Gibson family says protest at bakery changed their lives
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Meredith Raimondo testifies she didn't have control over students
- Gibson's Bakery rests case v. Oberlin College
- Day 3 of Gibson's v. Oberlin College trial sees former college employee testify for bakery
- Oberlin police chief: Riot team was almost called for Gibson's Bakery protest
- Jury selection set to start today in Gibson's suit
- Court filings delay start of Gibson's trial
- Jury selection for Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College suit expected to start Friday
- Oberlin College seeks to exclude items in Gibson's lawsuit
- Gibson's v. Oberlin College to go to trial
- Documents reveal attempts to 'smear the brand' of Gibson's
- Trial date set for Gibson's v. Oberlin College
- Gibson's Bakery lawsuit stays in Lorain County
- Gibson's Bakery moves to block venue change
- Oberlin College wants lawsuit moved to Cuyahoga County
- Judge denies partial motion to dismiss Gibson's lawsuit against Oberlin College
- Gibson's Bakery responds to Oberlin College's court request
- Oberlin College files motion to dismiss Gibson's lawsuit
- Gibson's Bakery struggling after loss of Oberlin College business, owner says
- Gibson's sues Oberlin College