Thursday, November 14, 2019 Elyria 33°

Cops and Courts

4-year sentence for threats to Elyria High School

  • 24377714

ELYRIA — A Lorain man who called in bomb threats to Elyria High School last September because he was upset with his girlfriend recently was sentenced to four years in prison.

Javiaan Davis, 19, received four years in prison for inducing panic, a third-degree felony, along with two years in prison for making a terroristic threat, also a third-degree felony; and 10 months each on two additional fifth-degree felony charges of inducing panic and one fifth-degree felony charge of making false alarms, according to court records.

Lorain County Common Pleas Judge Christopher Rothgery ran all the sentences concurrently, meaning they will be served at the same time. Rothgery also credited Davis with 96 days already served in Lorain County Jail awaiting trial, according to court records.

Davis pleaded guilty April 3 to the charges for a threat he made to cause harm at Elyria High School in September 2018. He confessed he made the threats because he was mad at his girlfriend, a student at the school.

Elyria Schools received three phone calls from Davis on Sept. 14, all threatening to cause harm at Elyria High School at 601 Middle Ave. The school went on exterior lockdown for more than an hour until police and officials could clear the area.

Following an investigation, police found Davis hiding under a sink inside a residence in the 1800 block of East 34th Street in Lorain. He was arrested, charged and held in jail until he was released on bond in December pending future court dates.

In another case, Davis faces 21 felony and misdemeanor charges in connection with an April 13 police chase. Lorain police officers tried to stop Davis for driving erratically, as well as on suspicion of drunken driving and driving without a valid license that evening when he drove off.

Davis struck a curb, sped east on East 29th Street near Wood Avenue into a dead-end, went around a barricade and into a field at an estimated 70 mph, according to Lorain police.

After the vehicle left the field, it struck another car with three people in it, eventually hospitalizing them and a passenger in Davis’ car, which flipped over. Davis fled. Officers found both a loaded handgun and an open bottle of alcohol in his car, according to Lorain police.

Davis was on the run from April 13 until May 21, and failed to appear in Lorain County Common Pleas Court on May 15 for a sentencing hearing in the bomb threat case. Deputy U.S. marshals and the Lorain County Drug Task Force found and arrested him without incident May 21.

As of Friday, Common Pleas Court records did not show the status of any charges in the chase case.

Contact Dave O’Brien at 329-7129 or do’ Follow him at @daveobrienCT on Twitter.

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…