LORAIN – Four individuals have been arrested in relation to a Monday homicide and three of them have been charged with murder.
According to a press release from the Lorain Police Department, Elliot Kirkland, 27, Mark Sanchez, 24, and Jasmine Schafer, 27, have been charged with one count of murder and the fourth, Latrice Thomas, 35, has been charged with one count of obstructing justice.
The four were charged in connection with the shooting death of Jimmie Holland Jr., 38, who was discovered in his upstairs apartment at 910 Lexington Avenue, shortly before 11 a.m. Monday.
“Detective Buddy Sivert and members of the Lorain Police Department and the Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force are credited with a voracious investigation that led to the rapid identification and apprehension of the person responsible for the murder of Mr. Holland,” the press release said.
Listen to the 911 call HERE.
The woman who made the initial 911 call identified herself to dispatchers as Jasmine Schafer and said she came to the residence to braid Holland’s hair and found him bleeding in a bedroom and unsuccessfully tried to resuscitate him.
“I got really scared and I left because I don’t know if the people who did this are around there waiting for people to come into the house or whatever,” she said on the call.
The city is now at seven homicides for 2016 — the highest since 2009. The only case in which an arrest hasn’t been made is in the Aug. 14 shooting death of Robert Gnizak at the Taco Bell on Oberlin Avenue.
Police are still seeking information and offering a $15,000 reward for tips that lead to an arrest in the homicide.
Police said Gnizak, 49, of Lorain, was a passenger in a car at the drive-thru when a man approached the vehicle from the passenger side and tried to rob Gnizak and a female friend before fatally shooting Gnizak.
The suspect, who is considered armed and dangerous, was described as a black male with a thin to medium build, standing about 6 feet tall, wearing a yellow or tan shirt with tan or khaki pants and wearing a tan baseball cap.
Those with information are being asked to call (440) 204-2100 or (440) 204-2105.
Check back throughout the day as this story develops.
- Lorain shooting victim remembered as kind-hearted man
- Man gets life without parole in Lorain murder
- Pair each get more than 10 years in connection with 2016 murder
- Lorain woman gets 3 years probation for charges related to murder
- Elliott Kirkland sentenced to life without parole in Lorain homicide (UPDATED)
- Deliberations continue today on sentence for Elliott Kirkland (UPDATED)
- Psychologist says killer Elliott Kirkland can 'think and reason'
- Elliot Kirkland guilty on all counts in death of man killed in home invasion (UPDATED/VIDEO)
- Sides rest in Elliott Kirkland trial; closing arguments scheduled today
- Murder trial, day 3: Witness says Elliott Kirkland sought alibi
- Elliot Kirkland found guilty of aggravated murder (WATCH VERDICT VIDEO)
- 'I killed your sugar daddy': Testimony begins in Lorain murder trial
- Jury selection begins in capital murder trial
- Lorain murder trial starts Monday
- Plea deal in charges connected to 2016 Elyria killing
- 2 plead guilty in killing of Jimmie Holland Jr.
- Death penalty sought in Lorain homicide
- 8. Violent summer in Lorain
- Four indicted in Lorain murder case
- Two shot in Lorain, flown to hospital
- Accomplice testifies in against Elliott Kirkland in day 2 of Lorain murder trial
- 'This was so senseless': Four arrested in Lorain killing
- BREAKING: Lorain police investigating possible Lexington Ave. homicide
- Lorain man found shot to death in apartment
- Reward increased in Taco Bell shooting death
- Reward offered in Lorain drive-thru shooting
- UPDATED: Man killed in Lorain Taco Bell drive-thru identified